Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Power Of A Handshake

 

Archaeological ruins and ancient texts show that handshaking was practiced in ancient Greece as far back as the 5th century BC.  It was an offering of peace between soldiers… {Ya I googled it J.. So what!  Did you think I would insult you by thinking you would think I was that intelligent to know this random knowledge?  Sorry} to disappoint.  Personally I hate shaking hands.  I know what people do with their hands and I want no part of it, but if it will open a few doors for me, Ill just grin and bear it and carry my hand sanitizer around with me.  Problem Solved. 

 

Now how I see a handshake is an opportunity.  Honestly the more people you meet in your life the better the probability of meeting someone who’s going to help your future.  I’ve practiced with walking up to perfect strangers and somehow starting a conversation with them.  It helps. Trust me.  Maybe walk up and do some random act of kindness.  You’ll brighten that person’s day and you’ll shake some of the nerves you have with speaking.  Success is somewhat of a numbers game.  Honestly great you have that college degree, you have that look, that swagger, but you have to leave that box eventually and meet someone who will make or break your career.  So get out there and shake as many hands as possible, but I suggest a small bottle of purex from your local Walgreens…Not everyone is as hygienic as you…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment